My photo
Hi. I like to write, I expect you like to read. What say we strike up an acquaintance?

Selfishness; Selfish-less

Someone said to me yesterday (let’s call her P), “Takyi, when I’m successful, I’ll mention your name as one of the people who inspired me”. This declaration was unexpected and caught me off guard, and the best I could manage was a lame “Awww” (yeah, I know, lame; sue me!).

But this remark didn’t just cause me to make a slight fool of myself, it also got me thinking about the ramifications of our daily actions. As far as I know, the only contribution I’ve made to P’s life was randomly asking her how her day has been, or having a random conversation about her home in Kenya, or something of the like. Hence, for her to say something like that was not only surprising but also pleasantly reassuring. Reassuring that there are people whose lives are affected by the little things I do. By the choices I make to try to be nice to people (regardless of how undeserving they may be of my oh-so-mighty-and priceless-niceness, hehe), by the choices I make to give people the benefit of the doubt (when it’s so obvious that it’s literally playing Devil’s advocate), by the choices I make to be generous with compliments, by the choices I make to care about people.

Sometimes, people really only need a simple “you’re looking smashing” or “Are you OK?”, to brighten up their day (maybe even reduce the suicide statistics….think about it :D), and by being able to do that, you not only bless a life, I believe you bless two. God says, you do unto Him what you do unto others, hence, by being able to do this, you not only bless a life, you unconsciously bless yourself (Yay!).

Really, it’s not that hard to rid yourself of selfishness and fill your heart with concern for others…. actually, it is, given that we’re inherently selfish beings, but you’ll come to realize that it’s much more difficult and strenuous looking out for your own interest than caring for many; mathematically, that’s a bloody lie, but in truth, it is the truth.

Be blessed.

7 expressions:

Paapa said...

Why didu use P?!!??!! (i knw hu it is though)

Nana said...

Ha! Somebody's feeling uncomfortable! (I'm sure you do)

Myne said...

Is Paapa the same as P? LOL...

Nice one Tye.

Nana said...

Thanks Myne! Nah, Paapa is just a parnoid boy! ;)

Ms Afropolitan said...

Well, this post has just made me feel inspired to make someone smile.

Nana said...

Glad I could be of service, MsAfropolitan, you just made me smile!

Nana said...

Thanks, Karina!

Post a Comment